Friday, August 9, 2024

Tisha Be'Av (9th of Av)

 Here we are… Tisha Be'Av (9th of Av) is almost upon us, in the season of "between the straits" – bein hameitzarim, which this year is more meaningful than at other times, but conversely also far from our present reality. The grief and sorrow that so many individuals in Israel are experiencing far exceed any bewailing a burnt-down edifice and destruction that took place two thousand years ago.

The relevance of what took place then to the present is in its eerie parallelism. About six years ago, around the 70th anniversary of our independence, those with knowledge and a sense of history began to warn the nation that the two previous independent commonwealths of Israel didn't last much more than seven decades (the united kingdom under David and Solomon and independent Judea from 140 B.C. to 63 B.C.).

"Sure enough", the inner bickering and mutual resentments that characterized the two other periods were making their toxic marks also on contemporary Israeli society, to the point of a near civil war, all the way to October 7th, 2023, and beyond (to this very day).

Thus, if remembering the 9th of Av events is valuable, it would be to take stock of our current condition rather than merely glancing back with remorse devoid of responsibility for the present. Such "responsibility" should lead to a turn-around redemptive teshuva while it's not too late.

"I have called Yah from the straits, and He answered me in the broad place of Yah" (Psalms 118:5 literal translation).

It is worthwhile reading this verse in its fuller context:

Verses 5-14: "I called YHVH in distress, YHVH answered me and set me in a broad place.   YHVH is on my side; I will not fear, what can man do to me?   YHVH is for me among those who help me; therefore, I shall see my desire in those who hate me.  It is better to trust in YHVH than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in YHVH than to put confidence in princes.  All nations surrounded me, but in the name of YHVH I will destroy them.  They surrounded me, yes, they surrounded me; but in the name of YHVH I will destroy them.  They surrounded me like bees; they were quenched like a fire of thorns; For in the name of YHVH, I will destroy them.  You pushed me violently, that I might fall, but YHVH helped me.   YHVH is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation". 

Would that this would be the Tisha Be'Av cry and prayer this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment